Tom Raymond, Dean of Education, email
Dr. Shannon Amiotte, Professor of Education, email
Dorraine Benson, Associate Professor, email
Terry Albers, Assistant Professor, email
Larry Gauer, Indian Education Grant Coordinator, email
Alicia Zephier, Secretary, email
Here is the Calendar of events for OLC.
- December 23rd 2014
- 5:00pm: Bravehearts vs. Mt. Marty
- December 24th, 25th, 26th, 2014
- Christmas Holiday
- January 5th - January 9th 2015
- Registration Week
- January 7th 2015
- 10:00am: Chairs Mtg.
- 4:00pm: OLC vs. Jamestown
- January 12th - January 16th 2015
- Add/Drop Week
- Assessment Day
- 5:30pm: OLC vs. Dakota State
- January 13th 2015
- Assessment Day
- 12:00pm: Course Cancellation
To graduate highly qualified, professional, motivated, and reflective teachers who posses and teach/practice Wolakolkiciyapi in a multicultural, changing world. The professional teacher education program views Wolakolkiciyapi as reflection and conduct of the Lakota Virtues as a means of improving self and others.
The Professional Teacher Education Program Mission
Graduates from our programs will be proficient as competent reflective teachers of content, theory, and application with an emphasis on (Lakota Virtues) character education while emphasizing community empowerment through reflection of traditional Lakota perspectives.
Oglala Lakota College's Education Department utilizes instructional delivery based around an Experiential-Interactive Model. Our experiential-interactive model focuses on giving teacher trainees practical application relating to the profession of teaching. Our model includes the following:
- A Professional Development School Model;
- dialogue between student and teacher;
- guidance and facilitation;
- enforces student-student collaboration;
- incorporates a conscious integration of language and content area;
- focuses on the development of high-level thinking skills;
- instructional presentation generates intrinsic rather than extrinsic motivation.
Degrees and Programs:
- Associate of Arts Degree in Elementary Education
- Bachelor of Science Degree in K-8 Elementary Education
- Bachelor of Science in K-12 Lakota Studies
- Bachelor of Science in Physical Science 7-12 Secondary Education with Endorsements available in Earth Science, Math, and Biology
- K-12 Special Education Certification