Early Entry Students
Oglala Lakota College provides opportunity for high school students to achieve college credit under a specific criterion called Early Entry. This program is offered to senior and junior students who carry a cumulative GPA of 2.00 or better that would like to enroll into college core classes. Tuition and fees are waived through OLC although the student is responsible for purchasing their own books.
A. A high school student wishing to enroll at Oglala Lakota College must submit a statement from their high school Principal or Counselor that the student:
- Has a G.P.A. of 2.00 or above (a copy of the High school transcript will need to be attached for documented proof).
- Is prepared for College level work. The statement should also mention that the high school is aware of and approves of the student enrolling in College courses.
- High school students will be allowed to choose from regular courses scheduled during that semester.
- A college counselor, in consultation with high school personnel.
- Course selection should relate to a students high school preparation, interests and career goals.
- The student will be allowed to register for no more than 7 credit hours per semester. This allows an early entry student to obtain up to 28 credits maximum.
- Registration will be on special basis and no credit will be granted until proof of high school graduation is presented.
D. Financial Aid
- High school students cannot receive regular financial aid but the College will waive tuition, registration fees, lab fees and activity fees for students who would otherwise be eligible for financial aid.
- Book costs cannot be waived. The student must make arrangements for payment before receiving books. S
- tudents who do not meet financial aid eligibility criteria will be liable for all costs.
- Students must have eligibility determined before credit is given; therefore financial aid packets must be submitted at the appropriate time.
- Records will be maintained in the Registrars Office and at the appropriate Center in a special file under Early Entry and the Registration Card will be clearly marked as such.
- Separate records will insure that high school students are not confused with regular students and that both the student and the College meet all commitments.
- Counselors should take special notice of Entry Entry students and maintain contact with them and the appropriate high school personnel.
G. Independent Study
- Under no circumstances will high school students be allowed to enroll in independent study.
H. Other Policy
- All other College policies applicable to regular college students will apply to high school enrollees.