Here is the Calendar of events for OLC.
- December 23rd 2014
- 5:00pm: Bravehearts vs. Mt. Marty
- December 24th, 25th, 26th, 2014
- Christmas Holiday
- January 5th - January 9th 2015
- Registration Week
- January 7th 2015
- 10:00am: Chairs Mtg.
- 4:00pm: OLC vs. Jamestown
- January 12th - January 16th 2015
- Add/Drop Week
- Assessment Day
- 5:30pm: OLC vs. Dakota State
- January 13th 2015
- Assessment Day
- 12:00pm: Course Cancellation
|Susan Heathershaw||Community/Continuing Education Coordinator||Phone|
- Community/Continuing Education Department Documents
The Community/Continuing Education Department began as the Adult Education department in 1973. The major component of the department was GED testing. In the years that followed the department grew to include community education, life coping skill workshops, adult basic education and GED tutoring. The name of the department was changed from Adult education to Community/Continuing education. This was translated into Lakota Language as "Tiospaye Iciyohikeya Wounspe", which means community and continuing education, which serves in the spirit of the mission and purposes of the College.
Community education is a philosophical concept that serves the entire reservation community by providing for all of the educational needs of its community members. It uses the local resources to serve as the catalyst for bringing community efforts to bear on their needs. In addition to the effort to develop a positive sense of community, improve community living, and develop the community process toward the goal of self actualization.
The Community/Continuing Education Department offers a program responsive to the needs of the people of the Pine Ridge Reservation. The department tutors are responsible for preparing students for taking the GED tests. The instruction provided for the student is on an individualized basis and set up to meet the individual needs of the student. Tutoring is provided at the local college centers. The majority Community/Continuing Education Department tutors are bilingual and live in the community they serve. The department offers life long learning through life coping skills workshops, and continuing education.
Career counseling is another feature of the department. Each student completes a Career Occupational Preference System interest inventory. This inventory assists the students in the selection of a career, and allows them the opportunity to pursue this career choice.
Major components of the department are:
- Adult Basic Education Skills Tutoring in reading, writing, listening, speaking, and mathematics.
- GED Tutoring in high school subjects of writing, language arts, mathematics, social studies, and science.
- GED Testing Services is provided with authority from Washington, D.C.
- Life Coping Skills Workshops are short courses in many areas such as; consumer economics, jobskills, law and government, Lakota culture and health.
- Career Counseling and Job Seeking Skills.
- Family Literacy